The Transport Operator for Goods and Passengers

The Road Transport Operator Licensing Unit of the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport mainly deal with applications for Road Haulage Operator Licences and Road Passenger Transport Operator Licences and also authorise the addition, substitution or removal of vehicles on these licences. You must have an operator licence if you:

Road Haulage Operator’s Licence

if you transport goods for hire or reward using a vehicle with a maximum permitted weight above 3.5 tonnes.

“Hire or Reward” haulage arises when you are paid for carrying someone else’s goods. If you do only own account work, i.e. carriage of your own goods in your own vehicles driven by yourself or your employees, or in the delivery of goods to a customer who has bought those goods from you, then you do not need a Road Haulage Operator’s Licence.

Road Passenger Transport Operator Licence

if you transport passengers for hire or reward using a vehicle so constructed and equipped as to be suitable for carrying 9 or more passengers.

“Hire or Reward” arises when you are paid for carrying passengers. If carrying passengers is not your main business, and if you are not charging your passengers a fee, then you do not need a Licence.

For example, a hotel that owns a bus that it uses to ferry its guests, as a complimentary service, to and from an airport or tourist attractions, would not need a Licence.


Transport Licensing Forms 

The following types of carriage are exempted from the requirement to hold an operator licence for national operations in the State >>>>>


Make a Complaint relating to Unlicensed Haulage

  • If you have any concerns that an operator may be acting illegally as regards Operator Licensing requirements you can report your concerns in confidence to the RSA in any of the following ways
  • In Person – Call into our office, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway. Where you can speak to one of our staff in the strictest confidence.
  • In Writing – Post your complaint to Enforcement Section, Road Safety Authority, Clonfert House, Bride Street, Loughrea, Co Galway.
  • By email – Complete a complaint form (DOC)​ and submit to
  • By phone – You can speak to one of our staff on 091 872600 (enforcement section) or call our lo-call confidential hotline on 1890 253 163.
  • Online – make a complaint online​​ via the RSA website.​


Preparing Your Business For Severe Weather


Cost Competitiveness crucial to sustained growth
It concentrates largely on the primary costs that impact on the enterprise. These comprise labour costs (which include wages and salaries, employer paid-statutory plans and other employee benefits); property costs; transportation costs; utility costs; and the costs of capital and taxes. The Report also examines price levels and changes in those levels.